Friday, January 24, 2014

Masai Mara


Much has happened since my last blog entry, one of which was a two-day safari! I just arrived safely back to Nairobi and am heading home to the states Saturday evening. The Lord has shown me so many things these past three weeks and He has opened my eyes and my heart to many realities and possibilities. I would like to attempt to record some of my closing thoughts and emotions with all of you who have been supporting me during this time, but I'm too exhausted to do that right now! So instead, I will leave you tonight with a taste of the Masai Mara...... and I will send you more thoughts tomorrow. I cherish you all!

Mara means "spotted", so Masai Mara literally depicts a land that is inhabited by Masai people and appears spotted from above the Great Rift Valley because of the isolated trees and bushes scattered throughout. It is absolutely breathtaking! Although they say a picture is worth a thousand words, there is no way to portray the Mara with pictures alone.

 "And God saw all that He had made, and it was very good"

After seeing this Cheetah, we saw two that had just killed an Impalla and were ravenously feeding on it! (I'm having technical difficulties and can't seem to get all my pictures onto my computer....yes I am a girl)

There were so many elephants!! This was a younger bunch that smelled us soon and started running away. It was pretty cute. I learned that elephants need to feed for 18 hours a day in order to sustain themselves (over 240 pounds of grass!!). They cut the grass by kicking their feet and using their trunks as traction. They also eat Acacia trees.

My FAVORITE animal!! I just love Giraffes. They are so graceful and have such long eyelashes! I love the way they walk and eat off trees. The tallest giraffe ever recorded was 21 feet tall (I learned that in Whits & Wagers! haha)

Rainstorm is coming! We soon got wet =)

The spotted Masai Land (Mara). I just love those trees.

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities- his eternal power and divine nature- have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse". Romans 1:19-20



No comments:

Post a Comment